Re: G5 powermac installer queries

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Sven Luther wrote:

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 02:48:43AM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
 Hi, me again.

I won't have a network connection with kernels < 2.6.14 (I need that to
get sungem support for my PHY), so I'm trying to install from the weekly
d-i binary CD 1.  This seems to go ok until it gets to installing
yaboot, then it fails with the following messages (sorry about the long
lines)

Known problem, use the businesscard or a later businesscard iso. I think it
was fixed on tuesday, but if you could use today's daily build, this would be
fine. Well, not sure it this is the same problem as on 32bit powrrmac.

Umm, I don't seem to be able to use the businesscard in the absence of a working network connection (it needs to contact a mirror to get a release file, and chrooting to the installed fs to rerun yabootconfig and ybin just gave the same error and didn't like boot=hd:). That doesn't seem worthy of an installation report!

In any case, the right way to handle this is not to post on debian-powerpc,
but file an installation report at :

 http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/report-template

Done for the previous testing powerpc binary 1 CD (primarily for yaboot).

Another thing that i would really like you testing, since you are installing
anyway, is the graphical installer, which had success reports on pegasos and
32bit newworld, but not on 64bit machines :

 http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/gtkdi/images/daily/powerpc64/gtk-miniiso64/mini.iso

And report back with a separate installation template.

 Done. (didn't manage to start X, hardware details are in the report)

Meanwhile, I see that the weekly testing isos have been uppdated today. Will try that.

Ken