Re: Performa 6320CD

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 06:33:36PM -0500, Rod Ross wrote:
> Mike Small wrote:
>
> >Do you know if there is any information about how the boot process
> >
> >works for nubus machines?  Is it different for each model?  I have an
> >old laptop I'm fond of (a 1400) that I'd like to use to learn about
> >writing boot programs, but I haven't been able to find any information
> >with which to begin.  I suppose this is not something that is
> >documented anywhere.
> >

> Sorry Mike, I don't know. I know from talking with Ethan Benson it is
> not open firmware thus a major probelm (PETA as EB calls it ). Forth is
> the language of OF yet a libc-prom is the direction yaboot is heading
> for release 2. I would address Ethan and look into yaboot and their
> mailing list and possibly you might get a better answer. Sven seems to
> know something about the boot loader:

Well, Ethan surely is not the definitive answer on this, as he was not the
original author of yaboot to start with, and his view on this are rather
strong, maybe fanatical even.

emile, miboot, quik, yaboot are all good sources for inspiration on this, i
didn't know the 1400 was nubus though.

> Quote from previous email with Sven:
>
> rod ross wrote:
> >back to trying to build nubus again. The boot process only worked using
> >mklinux bootloader for me and I tried them all. I realise a different
>
> Sven wrote:
> Yeah, known problem, altough there is some hope in emile, but we will see. I
> was told about it in february.

Yeah, hacking on emile is a good idea for what you have in mind.

Friendly,

Sven Luther