Re: Performa 6320CD

Sven Luther wrote:

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 01:25:40PM -0500, Rod Ross wrote:
Leonardo Marques wrote:

What is a nubus box? How i to do to discover if it is or isnt a nubus?

Thans for attention ;)

http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/#support

The kernels on above site work. Debian kernel frame buffer needs work ( you have to ssh into box after you install debian sarge kernel ) and no audio on debian sarge kernel. Also root doesn't mount properly and ppp uses older version in sarge kernel. If there was a git kernel repository for the nubus I would build it myself ( I have 3 nubus machines ).

Did i see you just volunteer to help me co-maintainer the debian nubus kernel ?
Friendly,

Sven Luther

Well seeing as how I am unemployed former ISSC/CTG IBM employee why not ! I must admit I am acquainted with debian build kernel automation ( I have been making my own for 7401 ppc on debian with make-kpkg for years ). I avoid bitkeeper at all costs. Also, I am confused by the build process on nubus. I understand all modules must be built into kernel and a fake mach header must be patched in ( for mklinux boot loader ) but I feel something was lost (ppp device ttyS0 , audio etc ) in the transfer to debian's source code from the bitkeeper repository and kernel the nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net project was using . I did download ( some months ago ) the debian nubus source and patch but was unable to get a proper build. The build completed but the mach kernel header was lacking from the kernel and the kernel appeared to big. I guess it is time I got back to trying to build nubus again. The boot process only worked using mklinux bootloader for me and I tried them all. I realise a different boot loader ( other than mklinux ) is needed for debian to accept it because it is not free. Also the whole system depends on macos for booting and this would need changing and certainly it is above my head. So perhaps this nubus arch should just fade away ( like old cowboy ). If you decide to proceed with me, please remember these machines are slow and I prefer to build on them rather than cross compile so work on these machines is rather slow.

Linux version 2.4.27-nubus (horms@aya.lab.ultramonkey.org) (gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-12)) #1 Mon May 16 18:48:55 JST 2005
processor       : 0
cpu             : 601
revision        : 0.2 (pvr 0001 0002)
bogomips        : 59.80
machine         : PowerMac,NuBus
motherboard     : PDM MacRISC
detected as     : 0 (<NULL>)
pmac flags      : 00000000
memory          : 24MB
pmac-generation : NuBus

Above machine is a 6116CD powerpc

I have 2 other machines ( they have more memory etc ) they are 6115CD powerpc same motherboard ( 6100 style )

I thought Simon was maintainer ?

Sven, I would like to help maintain but I know I am not as knowlegable as you so bear with me please if you would have me help you.

Cheers,

Rod Ross ( myXtie on freenode )