Re: powerpc d-i daily builds reactivated, use 2.6.12 kernels

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 12:00:16AM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> On Oct 07 2005, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 04:03:10AM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > > I'd be happy if it were included in non-free, if that's possible. Is
> > > it?
> >
> > Not with the boot sector situation non-clear, but we can try it.
>
> I hate to have to get things from anything that is not testing, which is
> where my main focus is. Getting miboot in unstable would be a great step
> forward.

Yep. That said, once it is in non-free, it will migrate to testing quickly
enough.

> > > I'm really quite short of time right now (preparing lots of midterms
> > > and then marking them up---ugh!) to rewrite anything...
> >
> > Yeah, as anyone. but the code just need to be removed, or rewritten
> > with 0s, i guess you could do it with dd or something :)
>
> Humm, just removed? Doesn't it do anything useful?

Well, no idea, remember this is m68k assembly code which has not been modified
since a decade or so, benh mentioned that it may actually not be usefull, but
nobody actually tested removing it, so we go about and wonder about asking
apple to free it, or reimplement it or something, maybe we can only get ride
of it and upload miboot to contrib ?

> > > Ok, I can be a guinea pig for the current d-i floppies, if you want
> > > me to. But if they are working, why did you ask me for my own
> > > .config file?  Do you still build the floppies based on 2.4 kernels?
> >
> > Nope, only 2.6, but i like to compare the .configs, to fine tune or as
> > reference if i need to remove other stuff.
>
> Where exactly are the things that you've done so far, so that I can test
> them? I may have some spare time after the 20th of October (well, I sure
> hope so).

I took the debian 2.6.12 -powerpc flavour and removed stuff until it fit on a
mibopot floppy. I disabled some modular stuff whih i maybe didn't need to.

I think you should look at the .config, see what is missing for you, and then
check if we can remove other stuff and add those that are missing for you.
Mostly the nfsroot stuff, and maybe have ext2 builtin, not sure if we can
squeeze the scsi driver in also.

> > > Right. I think that this may be doable.
> >
> > But i was not really able to squeeze more of it out, mybe because i
> > include all old-world fbdevs and you use only yours ?
>
> I'm surprised, because I'd think that having both ext2 and ext3 compiled
> in the kernel would seem to be much more code than some the ow fbdevs...

ext2/ext3 have never been compiled in for debian 2.6 kernels, so ...

One possibility in the 2.6.13/2.6.14 timeframe is the ability to remove the
non-apple chrp and prep code. Also, i am not sure if the pmac-ide driver works
on those machines, or if they use scsi only, in this case we can try removing
it also.

> > > When you wrote that, did you think of using quik to boot from a
> > > floppy?  That's something that just now occurred to me.
> >
> > Nope, but d-i is supposed to be able to install quik so you should not
> > need to worry about miboot floppies ever after, but quik is broken on
> > some obscure hardware combinations, so a miboot-installer for those
> > would be handy.
>
> Indeed, quik is quite temperamental. I still have not understood
> completely when it works and what I should do to make it work reliably.
> :-(

Hehe.

Friendly,

Sven Luther