Re: powerpc d-i daily builds reactivated, use 2.6.12 kernels

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 01:48:29AM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> On Oct 05 2005, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 07:50:20AM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > > Were are the dependencies for your miboot package, BTW?
> >
> > apt-cache show miboot :)
>
> Thanks. :-) I'll take a note on this so that I don't forget it. :-)

Notice that miboot is not in the archive, altough it may go into contrib if we
fix the boot block problem.

One thing that needs testing is trying to remove the actual code from the
boot block and see if it works. benh seemed to say that it may, which would
solve the licencing issues.

> > I think they are rsrce and mac-tools or something such, one is for
> > hformat and stuff, the other for playing with the macos ressources.
>
> Ok, I found them in unstable. And its mactools, BTW, for those looking
> at the archives.

Cool.

> > > I see no problems with that if you just want to get something
> > > functional.  OTOH, it probably doesn't help for further development
> > > of boot images, I agree.
> >
> > It is not particularly more easy than the other method though, wich
> > can be more nicely automated though.
>
> I agree completely, Sven, but getting things working first is, perhaps,
> one of Hans's priorities...

This was an argument when the d-i floppies where broken, but not anymore :)

> > > I have many things compiled into my own (oldworld) ppc kernel,
> > > including two filesystems (ext2, ext3), the nic driver and other
> > > things.
> >
> > Please make sure to look at the powerpc-miboot config and provide
> > changes if needed.
>
> I'll see that. Do you use an initrd? I avoid that like the plague, but I
> understand that for a distribution kernel, that's the way to go.

Sure, they are initrd images, i had trouble enough to squeeze them into
floppies like this, can't add stuff to them, but maybe we can design a way to
make them as small as possible. We use those floppies exclusively for d-i
booting right now, so them being initrd-kernels is not a problem, but we will
see, if there is really machines that don't support quick, we need to :

  1) make sure they work with the miboot kernel.

  2) create a d-i miboot-installer which will come into play on those hardware
  and create the needed floppies.

  3) and sure enough, a non-initrd solution for those cases would be welcome.

> > Please provide a bug report against linux-2.6 with them, it is too
> > complicated to look for stuff on random lists, and i don't archive
> > lkml locally anymore, since mutt barfed on my 40K email big mbox :)
>
> Now, you've learned that you shouldn't use mbox for your mailbox. :-)

Bah. /me needs to find time to put all mail into a nice database, and use that
for access.

The funny thing is that mutt was able to see only 1/4 th of the mails, and
jumped from 10000 directly to 30000 or something such.

> Ok, back to the topic, I will post my .config, so you can have it.

Cool,

Friendly,

Sven Luther