Re: Problem compiling SMU driver [was: Cross compiling linux-2.6.12-rc1 G4 -> G5]

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 11:02 +0100, Francois wrote:
Do a 64 bits kernel, I don't support 32 bits kernels on ppc64 machines
anymore;
Thanks for the tip. What is the simplest way to make a 64 bit kernel? I
have two options: cross compiling on my G4, or compiling under Darwin on
my G5.

Building a cross compiler looks complicated, and my compiling attempts
on the G5 have failed so far (sys/types.h not being found and similar
errors). It might be that I have not properly install XCode. I'll look
at it in more details.

No, build a biarch compiler from the G4. Look at tips on penguinppc.org,
I recomment the scripts for making a biarch compiler.

Ben.

Just sticking in my two cents on this one. When you say Xcode and Darwin on your G5 I am assuming you mean Pather (OS 10.3) and in my experience I have also found that The Mac OS X's (more so in Jaguar than Panther), are incomplete as far as Darwin. Some files needed to compile certain things just aren't there. For instance Jaguar does not contain a poll.h for one, so that error on not being able to find sys.h might not be your not having installed XCode right. Also I have come across a few programs were to get them to compile I had to "hard wire" the #include that made the call to the *.h file. By that I mean find the file, and change the #include to "#include <full_path_to_file.h>" Jag has a locate command in the terminal, so I would guess that Panther Does too, and if you don't find it after typing locate sys.h for example, there is also a script to update your list, mine is like /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb
--Mike