Cross compiling linux-2.6.12-rc1 G4 -> G5

Hi all,

I'm trying to build a bootable kernel for my new mono-processor G5. I
need the latest version because of the new hardware used in the G5.

Has anybody already done this?

So far I've tried to compile a plain ppc32 kernel on a G4 I have
(running sarge). But I get the following errors (with 'make-kpkg
kernel-image'):

<snip>
drivers/macintosh/smu.c:45:21: asm/smu.h: No such file or directory
drivers/macintosh/smu.c:47:26: asm/abs_addr.h: No such file or directory
<more of the same/>
</snip>

The problem is that some of the new code I need (written by Ben
Herrenschmidt if I'm not mistaken) lives in include/asm-ppc64 whereas
the make process picks asm-ppc:

<snip>
$ ls -ld asm
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root root 7 2005-04-05 11:56 asm -> asm-ppc
</snip>

I've tried cross compiling with
'make-kpkg --arch powerpc64 --cross-compile kernel-image', but make-kpkg
(and I guess behind it dpkg-architecture) don't know (yet) about
powerpc64 (nor of ppc64):

<snip>
unknown Debian architecture ppc64, you must specify GNU system type, too
at /usr/bin/dpkg-architecture line 198.
</snip>

So I'm not sure of what to do now:
1 - drop make-kpkg, and try to compile the kernel directly with make
(and find out the correct global variable for cross-compilation) or
2 - try to solve the compilation errors by moving files around (?)
3 - compile the kernel under MacOS X on my G5?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks for your help.

Francois