How to compile custom kernel 2.6 for ppc64

I've tried everything I could think of, "apt-get source --build", "make-kpk", "debian/rules binary", "dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc" but either the kernel does not boot or I cannot install the image due to errors that I find it hard to trace (a sample from yesterday at the end of the message).

I do need to compile the kernel to add patches from Ben to handle the fan and to recognize mi model (PowerMac 8,2).

Could somebody tell me what are the steps I should take to be able to compile and boot a kernel for ppc64?  I already have the etch chroot, as Sven suggested and backported yaird and debconf.

Eduardo.

PS: The error I got yesterday: Error setting debconf flags in linux-image-2.6.14-2-powerpc64/postinst/bootloader-error-2.6.14-2-powerpc64: Unsupported command "you" (full line was "You already have a NoLOADER configuration in /etc/.conf") received from confmodule. at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.14-2-powerpc64.postinst line 1233, <STDIN> line3.