Re: Problem with Bull Escala

On Tue, 2005-12-06 17:48:14 +0100, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 05:35:20PM +0100, Fruhen, Andreas, VF-Group wrote:
> > I want to install Debian on a Bull Escala. I've found some old docs on
> > the web but nothing very helpfull.
> > I just know that it is a prep System. I probably have some problems with
> > my Openfirmware.

[...]

> It works for my motorola powerstack II, but not for the IBM prep boxes, so i
> don't know how it stands for the Bull Escala, but we had posts about this in
> the past here, so i would be interested with feedback from the 3 above
> kernels.

I bet it won't work. Those Escalas I know about are early clones of
IBM RS/6000 machines containing the famous MCA subsystem, which Linux
doesn't right now support. AFAIK, There's not much documentation
available for these systems. Michael Westermann (Cc:'ed) was working
with one of these beasts (disassembling firmware to get a clue about
the hardware architecture), but there's not yet Linux running on those
(and it'll take a lot of time...)

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O