Re: Power Mac G3 beige : Problem with boot

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 12:44:07PM +0100, Frédéric Massot wrote:
> Hans Ekbrand wrote:
> >On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 04:53:39PM +0100, Frédéric Massot wrote:
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >My problem is to boot directly under Linux, I configured quik, modified
> >>Open Firmware with :
> >>- boot-device scsi/sd@0:2
> >>- boot-file /boot/vmlinux root=/dev/sda2
> >>- load-base 4000
> >>And load-base 60000, 100000 and then 1000000
> >>
> >>At the boot the system stops with this message :
> >>
> >>DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00700 at %SRR0: FF862AB4  %SRR1: 00081070
> >
> >Is this an error from OF, or from the linux kernel? (Looks like an OF
> >error)
> >
> >Is load-base 4000 the default setting? Otherwise, reset to the default
> >setting and try again (my Performa 5400 boots nicely with quik and I
> >only need to set the boot-device parameter).
> >

> For Quik, I use a first.b-g3, the configuration of Quik is :
>
> root=/dev/sda2
> timeout=20
> image=/boot/vmlinux
> label=Linux
> read-only
>
> When, I run quik -v, I have :
>
> # quik -v
> Second-stage loader is on /dev/sda2
> Conffile is /etc/quik.conf
> Config file is on partition 2
> Writing first-stage QUIK boot block to /dev/sda2
> Making /dev/sda2 bootable (map entry 2)
> Writing block table to boot block on /dev/sda2
>
> It is OK ?

Seems OK.

> When I use BootX for booting to Linux, I have in Open Firmware :
> - boot-device  /AAPL,ROM
> - boot-file
> - load-base  600000
>
> Which are the parameters which you have in Open Firmware ?

I don't have access to that computer right now.

> If I change the parameter boot-device to "scsi/sd@0:2", I always have
> the error message : DEFAULT CATCH!, code=...

scsi/sd@0:0 might be preferable (the last 0 means "the first bootable
partition"), but will probably not help here.

> I found this documentation on this error message :
> http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#default-catch
>
> I reboot the G3 several times without success. :o(
>
> The version of the Open Firmware is 2.0f1

As Simon pointed out, and which I did not know, there seems to be
known unsolved problems with quik and beige G3:s. I don't know more
about it. :-(

If you can't get quik to work on your box, there seem to be two alternatives:

A. BootX (requires MacOS)

B. miboot (will require a custom kernel with scsi compiled in). I have
setup a automated custom compiling make miboot floppies service, but
it is not finished yet. You give it a .config file and a root device
and you get miboot-floppy images and linux-image-*.deb:s out. If
you're interested I might go ahead and finish it.

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
Q. What is that strange attachment in this mail?