Re: Powermac G3 graphics card question

On Nov 30 2005, Robin Edwards wrote:
> I currently have a pci rage128 installed in my mac running sid. if i
> replaced this card with a pc pci graphics card (dual head would be
> ideal). would i beable to get this to working under linux.

Most probably yes, but be careful with the cards that you get. I see
that nVidia cards don't have 3D working well and future ATI cards might
not have have good drivers, according to what I heard Benjamin H. saying
in the Linux Kernel Mailing List.

BTW, if you don't use your PCI Rage128 card anymore, I would be
interested in that as I am currently using a much more limited card with
an old PowerMac that I have here.

> im aware that there are graphics card especially for macs, but id
> prefer to use a standard pc one if it will work.

I think that you can flash the firmware of some cards and use them
without problems on a Mac. Some other members of this list might have
more specific information regarding that.

Regards, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/