Re: Powermac G3 graphics card question

Robin Edwards schrieb:

I currently have a pci rage128 installed in my mac running sid. if i
replaced this card with a pc pci graphics card (dual head would be
ideal). would i beable to get this to working under linux. im aware
that there are graphics card especially for macs, but id prefer to use
a standard pc one if it will work.

Hi,

you'll probably have to flash the cards eeprom to do this. as a pc graphics card's eeprom contains code that is run on it's host architecture (e.g. intel cpu) it won't work with the different host architecture of a mac (g3 cpu, different endian, different instructions, ...). This would not be a matter if the eeprom exclusively contains code that is run on a cpu embedded on the graphics card.

I read that explanation somewhere in another newsgroup, don't know if it's a 100% right - should be somewhere in theat vicinity though.

For a step-by-step on how to convert ati radeon eeprom's look here: http://www.appletalk.com.au/articles/index.php?article=352

Regards,
Christian