Re: sudden power loss (WAS: sudden power loss on tibook)

On 11/29/05, sascha brossmann <brsma.s@gmail.com> wrote:
given the *extremely* irregular frequency of this failure i can well
imagine that it went by undiscovered until too late. and while i am
somewhat happy that it doesn't  happen very often, i suspect that
exactly this turns it into a harder problem, as well. :-(

 I concur regarding the extreme irregularity! On MY system pbbuttonsd seems to either make it liklier or trigger it somehow. So for a couple of days I set up various test situations with pbbuttonsd activated. Within an hour I had a sudden shutdown, then recreated (as best as I could recall) exactly the same arrangement of browser and terminal activities again, and the system did NOT power down the rest of the day. Literally hours of use without a failure. I can't very well test it if I can't be sure when it's better!

At this moment I do not have pbbuttonsd running. So far (!!!) I have only had shutdowns while that daemon is running. I also have only had shutdowns when actively using a web browser. I almost always have Firefox going, but I often have Opera running too or instead. Probably 80% of the shutdowns have occurred while I have been composing a message in gmail. The shutdowns have never occurred when I was away from the keyboard. I have done some fairly large file transfers without triggering the shutdown, but like you I suspect some sort of network interaction....

DRAT this is hard to test.