Re: success story and RFC: boot debian powerpc from external firewire hd without messing with initrd image

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 12:27:17PM +0100, dllm70-boborosso@yahoo.com wrote:

> --- Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> ha scritto:
>
> > Ah, so you compile your own kernel to make it work,
> > hardly the best way. What
> > you need is firewire support in
> > yaird|initramfs-tools.
>
> Beware the yaird package description says firewire is
> unsupported and scsi untested. When I have time I will
> try to use an initrd kernel, anyway.

I know. it may/should work with little tweaking though, if i remember what
Erik and Jonas told me correctly.

> > > The resulting kernel will not use initrd, so do
> > not
> > > use the --initrd
> > > option when issuing the make-kpkg command.
> > >
> > > The installer will fail when trying to install
> > yaboot.
> >
> > Can you file a bug report against yaboot-installer
> > with this ?
> >
> Done, thank you for the comment and the tip about
> kernel < 2.6.14.

Thanks. About the comment, no problem, but firewire disk was rather useless
pre-2.6.14. i noticed when i tried to create DVD isos on an external firewire
disk :)

Friendly,

Sven Luther