Fwd: sudden power loss (WAS: sudden power loss on tibook)

forwarding response sent off list

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ian Wienand <ianw@gelato.unsw.edu.au >
Date: Nov 23, 2005 11:31 PM
Subject: Re: sudden power loss (WAS: sudden power loss on tibook)
To: Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell@gmail.com>

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 11:22:16PM -0600, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> On 11/23/05, Ian Wienand <ianw@gelato.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> > I turned off frequency switching, and it still happened.  I have
> > turned of preempt in the kernel and it still happened too.  This all
> > on an G3 iBook.

> have you found any interactions with any daemons such as pbbuttonsd?

A long time ago people were talking about turning off NoTapTyping or
something similarly named -- I tried that and it didn't make a
difference.

> I haven't ever been able to sleep and wake this machine consistently under
> linux so I haven't tried in awhile ... usually I can sleep and wake for one
> cycle and then it won't sleep again... and this machine's battery is shot so
> I'm always on AC.

Hmm, that sounds like a problem other people (Erik?) has described.

> I'm very sick of booting to fsck with "you have not checked your
> > filesystem for X thousand days" since the clock gets reset to 1904!
>
> That's one difference on my Wallstreet II -- the clock isn't getting reset
> when the power goes off.

I wonder if that means we have different problems?  I'm not really
sure.

> I've tried resetting the PMU (using the fn-ctrl-shift-power keyboard
> sequence for this model) but that hasn't helped either.

Wow, I hadn't heard of doing that!  Thanks, I'll give it a go.  Here's
a link for others.

> I suspect I'm losing the last few events in the logs because I don't like to
> leave the hard drive spinning all the time... so I may need to do something
> more extreme (mirror the logs to another machine, maybe) to catch whatever
> messages come up as the power goes off. Has anyone tried that yet?

I feel sure that my kernel gets no warnings that the power outage is
coming, so I'm not sure there is anything to log.  Anyway, I've never
seen anything interesting in the logs.

-i