Re: Caps Lock remapping not working

Hi,

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 17:18 +0100, Felix C. Stegerman wrote:
> > I wonder if my problems remapping the Caps Lock key have something to
> > do with this issue. I've remapped keycode 58 to Control_L for the
> > console, but this has little effect. Caps Lock is nullified, but the
> > key doesn't function as Control_L. Nevertheless, showkey and evdebug
> > show key 58 getting pressed and released. It's a similar story for
> > xorg & mol. Various tools tell me Key 58 is getting pressed, but
> > Linux can't seem to do what it should with those keypresses. Other
> > key remappings work fine, and the OS X remapping also works. This is
> > on the Powerbook 6,8 1.5GHz G4 12" with Canadian French ADB keyboard.
>
> This is a hardware issue. See:
> http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=32397&cid=3508820 and
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2002/02/msg00305.html and
> http://hans.fugal.net/yodl/blosxom.cgi/mac/caps.html
> for more information.

I've been meaning to work up a proper solution to this for a while. It's
very normal to want to remap the capslock key -- you can see a fair
amount of traffic about it. OTOH it's not without its downsides, the
capslock light goes on and off every time you press the button, and very
occasionally the state gets stuck in e.g. control-on. That can be fixed
by tapping the capslock key.

So this shouldn't be the default behaviour. But I would think that
a /proc file controlling whether to generate key events like capslock on
other machines would be useful, with the default being the existing
behaviour, would be a useful patch. Ben, would you accept such a patch?
It's kindof silly but I'd like to be able to switch to normal kernels
instead of having to apply a patch to be comfortable :P

Cheers,
--
Andy Wingo
http://wingolog.org/