Re: 2.6.15-rc2

On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 23:42 +0000, Jochen Voss wrote:
> Hello Benjamin,
>
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 10:23:53AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > On the other hand, "Fn" is handled in hardware for ADB keyboards and by
> > the kernel (simulating hardware) afaik, in OS X, and I suspect it might
> > be a good idea to do the same, that is, have a translation map of the HW
> > keycodes when Fn is pressed in the kernel driver.

> Why would this be a good idea?
>
> Disadvantage: Not passing fn-key presses to the X-server would prevent
> users from having their own mappings for fn-something combinations.

1) you could still pass it down

2) While the ability to customize mappings in weird ways is cool for
0.1% of users who are "l33t", it's imho totally useless if the remaining
99.9% of users end up by default with a non-working map

3) guess what ? that is the case now (non working map)

4) it sucks big time to need different maps depending on wether your
laptop has the ADB or the USB version of the keyboard