Re: Reset PegasOS Open Firmware configuration to default

Quoting Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 07:35:01AM +0100, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
>> I've been trying to get a 2.6 kernel to boot on my PegasOS (the
>> kernel load hangs after a couple of seconds).
>
> I still don't get this, can you write me your exact problems in
> personal email ?

I'm currently working on a mail about this (I've been doing that since
you told me to hookup a serial console a couple of months ago :)

I'm busy, and getting 2.6 up and running on the PegasOS is quite
low-prio. Although it just jumped up to first place. The PegasOS is
the only machine I have that can display X 'correctly' (i.e. with
enough speed to be usable :).

> Can you boot the debian kernel fine ?

That IS the debian kernel! That's the weird part! _MY_ kernels get
some de-compression errors (can't remember which though).

>> setenv input-device serial
>> setenv output-device serial
>>
>> This is from the top of my head, can't remember EXACTLY what I
>> typed...
>
> Just remove the keyboard and you will get the serial console, don't
> forget to boot with console=ttyS1,115200n8.

That was what I tried. That is usual behaviour on SPARC, and the Open
Firmware is 'almost' the same (just not as good if you ask me). Before
I even tried redirecting i/o, I tried to just remove the keyboard - nothing...

>> Either I'm using the wrong physical port (there's two - one 9pin
>> and one 25pin) and/or the wrong speed (tried 9600/8n1, 38400/8n1
>> and 115200/8n1).
>
> 9pin 115200n8.

Tried that, didn't work. I later found a page that described 'in
detail' how to do this, and I saw that I was missing the speed (etc)
option to the 'devalias' command. Also, I used 'setenv', while the
page I found said to use 'install-console' and then the FORTH stuff.

http://www.ppczone.org/article.php?article=serialconsole

>> Any ideas? Is there an image or something I can boot that will
>> clear/reset the firmware?
>
> You can try an OF upgrade.

That was what I thought as well, but I couldn't find anything
about that...

Do you have one you can send me?

>> The machine is set to autoboot my 2.4 kernel so I could mount the
>> disk in another Linux machine and replace the kernel image with
>> this 'reset image'... ?
>
> forget about 2.4 kernels please.

As soon as I can get 2.6 working, I will :) But every single 2.6
kernel I've tried have failed to boot for one reason or other...

>> PS. Trying the old PC tricks I used to do
>>     when a PC/BIOS fucks up (remove the battery
>>     for a couple of hours) didn't work...
>
> just do a printenv, and you will see the default listed on the right, and you
> can reset them by hand.

Hmmm! Thanx. That helped. NOT :)

I can't see squat, and nothing I type seem to work/get through.
What's weird though is that I found a reference to 'F1' after
first keyboard blink. That seemed to stop the boot process...

I guess I can try 'type in the blind'. I've done quite extensive
repairs without any display :)
--
Treasury counter-intelligence Honduras Semtex attack jihad
arrangements spy KGB South Africa terrorist 747 Noriega nuclear SEAL