Re: Sharing an hfsplus partition between Linux and MacOSX

[sorry, i just realised, that gmail doesn't do list-replies by
default. so, once more for all...]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: sascha brossmann <brsma.s@gmail.com>
Date: Nov 14, 2005 9:36 PM
Subject: Re: Sharing an hfsplus partition between Linux and MacOSX
To: Marco Chiarandini <marco@imada.sdu.dk>

hello,

On 11/14/05, Marco Chiarandini <marco@imada.sdu.dk> wrote:
> I have and used this driver already, but 1) it also needs the roots
> permissions to write 2) I would like to have a file system that suites
> at best with MacOs as this will likely remain my main OS and I will also
> soon update to 10.4.3.

i solved the permission problem by consolidating uid and guid for my
user accounts on osx and linux so that the numerical ids match. you
may use netinfo manager on osx to change the ids. stay away from ids
<500 for regular users on mac os x, though, and from ids <1000 on
linux (i.e. make your ids >1000 on both). afterwards just use 'find'
to change all file ownerships with the regarding id to your 'new'
user/group. then, when running linux, mount the hfsplus partitions
w/out any special flags.

btw, be aware that in case a hfsplus partition gets not properly unmounted
(i.e. in case of a crash) you have to boot into osx so that it can
fsck it. otherwise it will only mount r/o in linux (which can't fsck
hfsplus).

happy partition sharing,

sascha brossmann
--
:: public key id 0x2EA549A0 ::.. :: . .  .  . ..    .    .   .