Re: hfs boot floppy versions

On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 01:14:10PM +0100, Christian Müller wrote:
> >Mmm, ... investigating, it seems that for some obscure reason miboot was no
> >more executable, fixed, so tomorrows build should be ok.
>
> Thanks, I'll give them a try.  Will the floppy come out when asking for
> root.bin?

It will do the right thing, as it should, obviously.

> >Joeyh, i think i want to get ride of the else copy, and *NOT* build those
> >miboot floppies for the official realeses, since they caused more harm than
> >help for the sarge release.
> >

> If a boot floppy without the miboot part would be of any use to someone,
> you might as well keep the else branch - as for the official releases,
> is it really such a problem to have people test such a disk on some
> machines before including it in, say sarge?  There is two logical ways
> one can go to get something stable, a) don't include it b) test it.  I'm
> asking this in curiousity, as I really can't imagine - not to piss
> someone off.  If you decide to include stuff without having done b)
> sufficiently, than *please*, at least put a bold README onto those
> floppy directorys warning that this is untested, maybe with some
> pointers to discussion threads (speaking of the official stable sarge
> dist) and bugs that are known about.

That is beside the point. The miboot stuff wasn't included for legal reasons,
and i don't even understand why it was included in woody. There is no issue of
testing involved here, and it is rather desobliging of you to even suggest it,
which i think will not endear our cause to anybody involved.

If you had bothered to check the mailing list archive of both debian-boot
and/or debian-powerpc, you would have noticed numerous posts about this
selfsame issue going back over a year, please go and read them, and then
appreciate the rather consequent work we all invested in this issue for mostly
old and obsolet hardware nobody uses anyway, and then i expect you to show a
bit more humility next time. What have you done yourself, downloaded a couple
of floppies without even investigating the issues, and made wild claims ?

> >>unlike the old 2.4 images, or those 2.2 images from woody (which I
> >>obviously can't forget as each newer boot set seems to get worse - or
> >>

> >Please, consider that we are all helping you out of our own free time, and
> >the
> >last you could do is stay polite and stop denigrating our work without
> >knowledge of what is going on and such. Also, if you had filed a proper bug
> >report, like asked on the debian-installer page, instead of random rants,
> >it
> >would have helped us find the issue earlier.
> >

> Please, consider that testing things takes time too and it's also done
> on my free time, I did not at all intend to denigrate your work or the

It sounded highly like it.

> like.  In fact I'm using it and I wan't to get it as useful again as it
> was, in the points I criticized.  I am thankful for what is done and

Well, there was a bug, its fixed now, thanks for reporting it, but that
doesn't give you right to speak about the work of all the debian-installer
team in such tones.

> understand that kernel changes/dist upgrades take time and nerves.  It's
> frustrating to see how dedicated people work on beautiful stuff that in
> the end can't be put to work, since they do not seem to have a little
> patience with their testers.  Both of our time is put to better use

It's also interesting to see how wanabe-testers don't know how to use google
or read mailing list archives :)

That said, it is well possible that the sarge release notes didn't mention
this, in which case it is a bug in the sarge release notes, and the right way
is to file a bug report against it (installer probably, maybe www.debian.org),
but not to come complaining at me in private. But in any case, i am not sure
you checked those release notes and erratas.

> fixing+testing things than ranting each other.  Let us concentrate on
> the rational parts.

Yep, from which your petty complaints distracted me :)

> So, while sending problems to /dev/null might be comfortable, there just
> might be more fun in helping each other out.

And, have i not been helpful ? Have i not fixed the issue now ? And you will
see when you investigate google with previous posts on the subject that i
account for at least half of those posts.

> ps: i'll have a look at the debian-installer page

Good idea :)

> pps: if you decide for /dev/null please let me know, so that I won't
> keep sending you mails you won't read

Just write the lists instead of private mail, this way other which had similar
problems than you a month ago could have helped.

Friendly,

Sven Luther