Re: hfs boot floppy versions

Sven Luther schrieb:

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 08:48:46PM +0200, Christian Müller wrote:
The ones that worked were from:
http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/older/sarge/images/2005-06-15/powerpc/floppy-2.4/

But they use the same kernel as:
http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/older/new-2.4-kernels/powerpc/floppy-2.4/

right?

I didn't try yet
http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/older/images/2005-08-15/powerpc/floppy/ (which is 2.6, I believe)

Maybe it is an 2.6 issue (which kernel does your miboot.floppy use? <- the only one that showed red X above tux, aside the other 2 possibilities (spit out) and (boots-fine))

Ok, you are confusing everything, please forget about 2.4 kernels, they are of
no import anymore, and forget about woody boot-floppies.

i want you to try in turn these three floppies :

 http://people.debian.org/~luther/miboot.floppy

 http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/2005-10-29/powerpc/floppy/boot.img

 http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/2005-10-29/powerpc/floppy/ofonlyboot.img

And for each of them report exactly and in details what happened.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

Before I forget it (all applies to oldworld beige G3revII):

* Third Time: miboot.floppy results in red X over the little Tux-Icon in the center of the grey screen, before a potential fb driver from the kernel takes over

* 20051029: boot.img cannot work (and it did not), because using hmount [...] ; hdir you will find out that the miboot environment is missing in that image, so there is no loader to take the included vmlinuz on it's back. however, using 20050615 boot.img-floppy + a little plastical surgery with hfsutils to replace zImage there with the stray vmlinuz you supply in 20051029 DOES work - so you ought to fix the building process or whatever.

===the procedure===: (nothing new)
# prior to the next step extract vmlinuz from 20051029
hmount boot-20050615.img
# will overwrite old kernel-2.4 image
hcopy ../vmlinuz :zImage
humount
dd to floppy...

===the trouble===:
unlike the old 2.4 images, or those 2.2 images from woody (which I obviously can't forget as each newer boot set seems to get worse - or say, at least, more inconvenient), the 2.6 vmlinuz will NOT eject the floppy after loading ther kernel, it pauses like expected and asks for the root.bin disk, but it will not eject the boot.img floppy it just loaded the kernel from - this is SERIOUS, as there is no hard-eject for the floppy on this model - you can only do it by soft command

again, I can only speak for the beige G3revII, certainly there are better experiences on other models (e.g. those that actually do have a proper OpenFirmware *sigh*),

regards,
Christian