Re: making the Apple key work as Alt/Meta

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 05:24:21PM +0300, Teemu Hukkanen wrote:
> Tamas K Papp <tpapp@Princeton.EDU> writes:
>
> > I reconfigured x.org with the macintosh layout, and now Ctrl-Option-F1
> > switches to the console, so that is fixed.  Could somebody please tell
> > me how to make the Command key (the one with a cloverleaf on it)
> > behave as Alt/Meta (eg switching windows with -Tab, work as Meta in
> > Emacs etc).  I tried xmodmap, and could not make it work.  I wonder if
> > it can be done in the xorg config file (with keyboard
> > variants/options), if so, would somebody please send me a copy?  Other
> > solutions would also interest me.  The machine is a Powerbook5,4.
>
> In Section "InputDevice"
>  Option "XkbModel"      "ibook"
>
> This makes the option/apple key Super_L and the enter key Mode_switch.
>
> "ibook" and "powerbook" are currently sysnonymous in this context,  see
> /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg and /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/apple for reference.

Teemu,

This didn't change anything.  In my xorg.conf, now I have

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "ibook"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

but alt/option is still Alt_L, and Apple/Command/cloverleaf is
Super_L.  I am using the latest xserver-xorg, what version are you using?

% setxkbmap -v 10
Setting verbose level to 10
locale is C
Applied rules from xorg:
model:      ibook
layout:     us
Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes:   xfree86+aliases(qwerty)
types:      complete
compat:     complete
symbols:    macintosh/us(extended)+apple(laptop_bad_switch)
geometry:   macintosh(macintosh)

What does this say on your machine?

Tamas

--
Bayesian statistics is difficult in the sense that thinking is difficult.
--Donald A. Berry, American Statistician 51:242 (1997)