Re: making the Apple key work as Alt/Meta

Tamas K Papp <tpapp@Princeton.EDU> writes:

> I reconfigured x.org with the macintosh layout, and now Ctrl-Option-F1
> switches to the console, so that is fixed.  Could somebody please tell
> me how to make the Command key (the one with a cloverleaf on it)
> behave as Alt/Meta (eg switching windows with -Tab, work as Meta in
> Emacs etc).  I tried xmodmap, and could not make it work.  I wonder if
> it can be done in the xorg config file (with keyboard
> variants/options), if so, would somebody please send me a copy?  Other
> solutions would also interest me.  The machine is a Powerbook5,4.

In Section "InputDevice"
 Option "XkbModel"      "ibook"

This makes the option/apple key Super_L and the enter key Mode_switch.

"ibook" and "powerbook" are currently sysnonymous in this context,  see
/etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg and /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/apple for reference.