Re: making the Apple key work as Alt/Meta

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 10:06:03AM -0400, Tamas K Papp wrote:
} Hi,
}
} I reconfigured x.org with the macintosh layout, and now Ctrl-Option-F1
} switches to the console, so that is fixed.  Could somebody please tell
} me how to make the Command key (the one with a cloverleaf on it)
} behave as Alt/Meta (eg switching windows with -Tab, work as Meta in
} Emacs etc).  I tried xmodmap, and could not make it work.  I wonder if
} it can be done in the xorg config file (with keyboard
} variants/options), if so, would somebody please send me a copy?  Other
} solutions would also interest me.  The machine is a Powerbook5,4.

xmodmap certainly does the job on every system I've ever seen. I suspect
that the problem is with how you are using it. You should first assign the
correct keysim to it (perhaps Alt_L). You should then clear mod1 and add
the correct keysims for it. Here are the relevant lines from my .xmodmaprc
for my G4 tower with USB Mac keyboard:

keycode  64 = Alt_L
keycode 113 = Alt_R
clear mod1
add mod1 = Alt_L Alt_R

You will need to determine the keycode for your Command key(s) using xev.
They may or may not be different from what I have above.

} Tamas
--Greg