Re: Yaboot for Cdroms and qemu disk images

Hi Dave,

here is what i do to build a qemu bootable iso image with yaboot:

# mkisofs -hfs -part -map etc/maps -no-desktop -hfs-volid "BBOS_Boot_CD" -hfs-bless iso_fs/boot -r -o bbos.iso iso_fs

while the filesystem in iso_fs looks like:
./boot
./boot/ofboot.b
./boot/yaboot
./boot/yaboot.conf
./boot/vmlinux

ofboot.b:
<CHRP-BOOT>
<COMPATIBLE>
MacRISC
</COMPATIBLE>
<DESCRIPTION>
text
</DESCRIPTION>
<BOOT-SCRIPT>
" screen" output
load-base release-load-area
boot cd:,\boot\yaboot
</BOOT-SCRIPT>
</CHRP-BOOT>
end: ofboot.b:

yaboot.conf:
# It is important not to have a comma after cd:
device=cd:
default=bbos
timeout=100

image=/boot/vmlinux
        label=linux
        read-only
end: yaboot.conf:

etc/maps:
# EXTN   XLate   CREATOR   TYPE     Comment
.b              Raw     'UNIX'    'tbxi'   "bootstrap"
yaboot          Raw     'UNIX'    'boot'   "bootstrap"
linux           Raw     'UNIX'    'boot'   "kernel"
vmlinux         Raw     'UNIX'    'boot'   "kernel"
.conf           Raw     'UNIX'    'conf'   "bootstrap"
root.bin        Raw     'UNIX'    'root'   "root_image"
*               Raw     'UNIX     'UNIX'   "unix"
end: etc/maps:

the yaboot image is a normal yaboot binary. If you need an initrd and
things like that you will have to put them in your filesystem and
yaboot.conf as well..

i boot now with
# qemu-system-ppc -S -s -nographic -cdrom boot_fs/ppc/bbos.iso -boot d
(this enables debugging possibilities and other things...)

regards, joerg