how to boot back into Gnome?

Q: How to switch to Console mode in GNOME?

   1. Read General Notes
   2. To switch to Console mode

Press 'Ctrl + Alt + F1' (F2 - F6)

   3. To switch back to GNOME mode

Press 'Ctrl + Alt + F7'

Q: How to restart GNOME without rebooting computer?

   1. Read General Notes
   2. Save and close all opened applications
   3.

Press 'Ctrl + Alt + Backspace'

      or

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

I'm on my G3 iBook running UbuntuPPC 5.04:
I switched into Console mode using the Ctrl+Alt+F1
but cannot switch back into Gnome...
I made the fatal mistake of rebooting my iBook while in Console mode
I reboot my iBook but it comes up stuck in Console Mode and I cannot boot back into Gnome
and yes, I tried the
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
(since there is no 'Backspace' on a Mac)
command but that didn't work either...???