Migrating Debian from iMac G4 to iMac G5

With your help I've been able to boot the new iMac G5 and start the installer.

Since I'm migrating from another Debian on a G4 I don't know if I should install a whole new system or not.

If I start the G4 in target mode, mount the firewire disk in the G5 and simply copy the whole filesystem(s), would that be enough, would the programs work? I would of course setup yaboot to boot with the power64 kernel and change the hardware related configuration (network and X).

I'm a bit lost there, is it only the kernel that needs to be compiled for 64bits or the programs too?

Eduardo.