Re: sudden power loss on tibook

Michael Schmitz wrote:

>>I thought I should report for the record that for me this problem
>>persists in kernel 2.6.13 (self-compiled, with the recent pci patch). My
>>machine is a powerbook 12" (powerbook 6,2).
>>Does anyone know if this has been brought up on the LKML? Would that be
>Pardon me piping up from the peanut gallery ...
>Do we have a clear picture of the hardware/software combination this bug
>is triggered by?
>In particular:
>- only tibook? What about iBook or later (Al-) PowerBooks?
as reported earlier, mine is an albook ( purchased in january 2004 ) G4 15".

cpu             : 7447/7457, altivec supported
clock           : 612MHz
revision        : 0.1 (pvr 8002 0101)
bogomips        : 406.52
machine         : PowerBook5,2
motherboard     : PowerBook5,2 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh
detected as     : 287 (PowerBook G4 15")
pmac flags      : 0000001b
L2 cache        : 512K unified
memory          : 768MB
pmac-generation : NewWorld

>- running pbbuttonsd (version?), no pmud present?
 pbbuttonsd 0.7.1, no pmud

>- running pmud (version?), no pbbuttonsd present?
>- running pmud (version?) with pbbuttonsd in pmud-compat mode?
>  (for this one you'll need to build your own pbbuttonsd, or ask me for
>  such a beast)
>- running neither of them?

>- are you using either pbbuttonsd or mouseemu to block the trackpad while
>  typing?
no ( if you're referring to the option "NoTapTyping" of pbbuttonsd )

I've been running kernel 2.6.13 with the radeon PCI patch since it's
been release and ( knock on wood ) have had no "shutdown" so far.

>That would help to narrow it down to either PMU or eventdev communication.
>So far, I've not been able to get a clear picture from the reports. ISTR
>one user reported that problems went away after using pmud/mouseemu
>instead of pbbuttonsd, that's why I suggest testing the above
>We've been bouncing a few ideas around WRT interaction between events and
>PMU but that didn't help much.
>If we can get a clearer picture about what usage pattern tends to
>interfere with PMU/host communication, or generally locks out interrupts,
>we could ask more specific questions on LKML.
>	Michael

Charles-Edouard Ruault

+33 1 55 34 76 65

Idtect SA