Re: Interrupts lost on IDE disks in RAID1 array

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 01:35:01 -0400
Rick Thomas <rbthomas55@pobox.com> wrote:

> If I recall correctly, the on-board IDE chipset on the beige G3 can't
> handle more than one hard disk.  Lost interrupts were one of the
> symptoms.

So this would be the problem... the "developer notes" on the G3
do mention that ide1 is for a cdrom, but I would have expected
otherwise. Anyway, this seems plausible: the disk works fine out of the
mirror -- I guess the G3 doesn't handle very well simultaneous writes...

> The best way to handle multiple hard disks is to get a good cheap IDE
> PCI card.

I do have an old Adaptec 2940 SCSI adapter, which worked fine in a
mirror setup (hda/sda), except I experienced random freezes at the
command line... I thought the kernel didn't handle very well the
differing speeds of the drives, that's why I added a second IDE. Maybe
I'll be able to get better results by returning to this setup. I'll try
that again.

Anyway, thanks for the information

Simon

--

Simon Vallet
Due to massive spam, the address shown in the From: header