Re: Interrupts lost on IDE disks in RAID1 array

On Aug 27, 2005, at 10:27 AM, Simon Vallet wrote:

Hi,

I have a RAID1 setup on a BeigeG3, with one disk on /dev/hda, and the
second one on /dev/hdc. The machine does not seem to like the setup,
however, because I often get the following error :

ide-pmac lost interrupt, dma status: 8080
hdc: lost interrupt
hdc: dma_intr: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }

ide: failed opcode was: unknown

This happens at random intervals, and is _very_ annoying. I already
tried to change the disk & the cables, to no avail. In fact, I'm a bit
desperate here, and I'd like to know if this is a kernel:settings
problem (which would be fixable), or a hardware limitation: maybe this
machine does not support DMA2 on two controllers ?

There are other devices on the two IDEs : /dev/hdb is a CDROM drive
(DMA1), and /dev/hdd an IDE ZIP drive. Removing them does not help...

Thanks for any info/pointers on this.
Simon

Hi Simon.

If I recall correctly, the on-board IDE chipset on the beige G3 can't handle more than one hard disk. Lost interrupts were one of the symptoms.

The best way to handle multiple hard disks is to get a good cheap IDE PCI card.

Rick