Re: powerpc d-i daily builds reactivated, use 2.6.12 kernels, including 64bit kernels, miboot floppies dropped for now.

On Aug 19 2005, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 05:00:44AM -0300, Rog?rio Brito wrote:
> > Humm, this is indeed a problem. :-( The non-freeness of miboot is
> > a secondary problem in face of not having a way to install the
> > operating system on the box. :-(
>
> The kernel don't fit anyway,

That's not true. The method I currently use to boot my pmac is to
compile a brand new kernel (right now, 2.6.13-rc6-mm1, the bleeding
edge) and it fits into a floppy without any problems (and with about
100KB left).

I don't even use a initial ramdisk, which would make things even
easier, as far as we are talking about space on the floppy (since I
could perfectly move things there, but I feel that it is too much
trouble with my own machine).

I just grabbed the woody hfs boot floppy and replaced the kernel with
mine (and edited the parameters passed by the System file). Then,
everything else worked.

In fact, I now have learnt how to make my machine boot in OF with the
use of the monitor and now I can see the quik prompt, but quik seems
unable to boot with kernels that work the floppy disk method.

> and you can always use the sarge miboot floppies,

If I recall correctly, there were one of the release candidates of
sarge that didn't have floppies working. I just grabbed the woody
floppies and proceeded with its install and later upgrade to testing.
I never looked back then.

> or older daily builds and then upgrade, or use bootx with the normal
> installation, or even boot the .cofg kernel from OF directly.

Using bootx is out of question, due to space limitation of my hard
drive (and I am not even mentioning the use of a non-free MacOS
install).

Didn't know that OF could boot .coff kernels directly, though. I will
investigate that.

Regards,

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/