Re: CardBus bridge and wireless card plugged into it use same IRQ: Correct?

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 11:39:47AM +0200, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 18:42 +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

> >  [ ... ]
> >

> > The above details the fact (or better: I hope it's a fact :) that
> > "Ralink RT2500" (a wi-fi chip) is connected to the PCMCIA slot
> > ("CardBus bridge") of a Titanium IV ..
> >
> > Logic might suggest the connector (the "bridge") can/must use the same
> > interrupt as the wireless card that is connected to the former, but
> > I'm not sure on it. So if someone with more knowledge could enlighten
> > me a bit.
>
> They are using both IRQ 58. What's wrong with that ?

                     [ ... ]

Thanks for the question, which, as it seems, is also an answer ... :)

My early computer lessons, IIRC, made me believe that 2 devices should
not share the same IRQ ... I wasn't sure, whether this is still valid:
Windows <whatever-version>, please see:
<http://www.buildorbuy.org/irqmap.html>

As I said: In this case, where the radiocard shares the irq with the
bridge it is connected to I thought it might not hurt. But I was not
sure on that ...

I'm trying to set up a little wifi-network, and it does not always
work as it should: With my questions I simply wanted to make sure the
IRQ "issue" actually isn't one, and that it is not the source of my
wifi troubles...

Thanks a lot for responding, Ben ..

Best Regards
Wolfgang