Re: Power management issue on G3 iBook

On July 12, 2005 06:45, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've had a G3 iBook run Testing for about 3 years.
>
> One of the really nice things about this laptop in comparison
> to many x86 laptops is that until recently power management has
> worked flawlessly. It used to be that I simply closed the lid
> and it went to sleep and opened the lid and it woke up.
>
> That all changed about 2 days ago. I did and apt-get upgrade
> on the system and power management hasn't worked since.
>
> Anybodu have any idea what changed and how to fix it?

My experience is similar to yours. You were probably hit by the kernel
upgrade.

I've found that I'm somewhat able to use power management with
kernel 2.6.10 (2.6.11 freezes all the time and I've read on this list that
there are still problems with 2.6.12 on the G3).

There are also some gotchas for the sleep/resume to function:

1- Remove ALSA snd-powermac module before sleeping.
2- Shut down dbus-1 before sleeping.

With that sleep/resume works most of the time. It does happen on occasion that
the resume fails and freezes after 'eth0: resuming'.

Hope this helps

--
Francis J. Lacoste
francis@Contre.COM