Re: DMA problems

On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 11:44:32AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
} On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 21:34 -0400, Gregory Seidman wrote:
} > On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 10:22:21PM +0100, David Pye wrote:
} > } On Friday 08 July 2005 16:30, Gregory Seidman wrote:
} > } > I can't get DMA working at all on my dual G4 tower. When I try to turn it
} > } > on with hdparm (hdparm -d1 /dev/hda) I get errors on the console and it
} > } > gets turned off again. Is there some module I should have loaded? This is
} > } > really distressing; my swap partition is on this non-DMA drive, so things
} > } > get VERY SLOW when I do anything memory-intensive (like running KDE,
} > } > Kaffeine, xchat, mozilla, gaim, and several xterms all at once). Please
} > } > help!
} > } >
} > } > --Greg
} > }
} > } Well, you did quite well with the vital stats, BUT...
} > }
} > } What are the errors you see on the console when you try to enable dma?
} > } What (if anything) ends up in dmesg when you try to enable dma?
} >
} > Everything that appeared on the console seems to have made it into dmesg:
} >
} > hda: Enabling Ultra DMA 4
} > ide-pmac lost interrupt, dma status: 8000
} > hda: lost interrupt
} > hda: dma_intr: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
}
} Strange... Looks like your disk or cable has a problem...

Given that it doesn't exhibit such problems under MacOS X (AFAICT, at
least), how do I go about diagnosing/fixing the problem? I think I have a
spare IDE cable I could swap in, but it seems really weird that there would
be issues under Linux that are not there under OSX.

} Ben.
--Greg