[2.6.12-rc4] gnome-volume-manager is broken?

Hi list,

I was continuing my experiments with 2.6.12-rc4 and I have noticed that
USB drives (my iPod shuffle actually) are not automounted anymore.

If I boot the good old 2.6.9 the magic works, and when I plug in the drive
a Nautilus window opens just fine, but going back to 2.6.12-rc4 breaks
this behaviour.

Creating an /etc/fstab entry allows me to mount it just fine under
2.6.12-rc4 by clicking in the "Computer" window, so no issue there: the
device is recognized perfectly by both kernels (I don't report the

# tail -f /var/log/messages

output, since they are the same!)

Anybody has this experience too?
Thanks for any suggestions!