Re: Porting ppc Linux to Xbox 360?

On Sunday 19 June 2005 11:24, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

> I'm not boycotting Microsoft. I never did. Boycotts, if my memory
> serves me well, were something that the German Nazis were practising
> when they were trying to get Jews out of business, before they killed
> them (" "Deutsche, kauft nicht beim Juden" -- Germans, don't buy from
> Jews"):
> A little report on that [in German, sorry ..]:
> <http://www.welt.de/data/2003/04/01/61430.html>
> So Lee, or whoever, by suggesting to boycott Microsoft: Is this really
> the neighborhood you want to live in? I don't hope so ...

Oh, please.

Not that again.   This isn't usenet, and this is quickly going to end up
following the route of Godwin's law if this line of argument continues.

 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law)

There is nothing wrong or unethical about boycotting a company whose policies
you do not agree with.  And actually, yes, I would like to live in a
neighbourhood where individuals realise that they can influence the behaviour
of companies by spending wisely (e.g. buying from small producers, FairTrade,
etc.)   But that's beside the point here.

The initial break in porting linux to the Xbox 360 is going to come with the
subversion or breaking of the copy protection that will no doubt prevent it
from running on the Xbox360, same as it did on the Xbox.  A lot of the old
hands that did the initial work on the Xbox are planning to return to work on
the 360, so it's a matter of sitting and waiting.  Remember, with such a
closed platform, the first step is cracking the protection, before the
porting as a whole can begin.

David