Re: Porting ppc Linux to Xbox 360?

On Sunday 19 Jun 2005 00:31, Wouter van Heyst wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 12:23:42AM +0100, Lee Braiden wrote:
> What then do you suggest we do? PS3? POWER workstations?

Well, we can say that a certain course of action is unwise without already
having the alternatives worked out.  Often, making that first decision is the
only way we note the importance of our situation, and take the time to *find*
alternatives.

But I don't see apple leaving PPC as a crisis.  To me, PPC is just a more
technically likeable architecture that happens to run Debian as well as x86,
and happens to have nice iBooks.  I see no problem with x86, as long as
there's competition within that market.  Lately, there's been lots.   It's
well past the point where x86 was thought to be dying because of
technological limits.

But even sticking with PPC, there are custom PPC boards, Apple clone
manufacturers, and Amiga boxes, I think.  With all the X Boxes being
manufactured, that should help to keep PPC prices down.  There's also POWER,
as you mentioned.

Then there is Cell coming up, which will be in PCs, run Linux, and probably
provide a few new options worth considering.  It also shares a Power(PC?)
main core.

--
Lee.

Please do not CC replies directly to me.  I'll read them on the list.