Sound in Gnome

I just switched from kde to gnome, and Sound is not working again. I was wondering, what does it mean when you get an error message saying "Failed to construct test pipeline for 'ALSA-Advanced Linux Sound System Architecture'? Quickly running lsmod shows that all the sound modules I had before are loaded, I am really hesitant to just try and pipe everything through esd, one main reason being I finally had sound in MOL, and when I had gnome before, and everything piped through esd, I couldn't get MOL's sound working. I just went into Desktop > Preferences > Multimedia Systems Selector, so please let me know if that is also not the right way to do this.

--Mike S