Re: touchpad on powerbook5,6

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 17:25 +0100, Matthew Denner wrote:

> I've given this a go on a 2.6.11 Gentoo system and it works well, alot
> less "jittery" than Johannes development driver (understandably), but
> it's also a bit jumpy, i.e. the movement isn't smooth like with a mouse
> but kind of jumps like when you snap to a grid in graphics packages.
> Note that I haven't restarted X yet because I'm in the middle of
> something so I'm using the /dev/input/mice rather than the synaptics
> driver, so this might be the cause of this?

Yes. To be fair, I haven't done much testing in X without the synaptics
driver. But I suspect that the jumps are due to the fact that ATP_XFACT
and ATP_YFACT in the driver source are a bit high. Try setting them at
32 and 16. Does this help ?

In any case, the synaptics driver doesn't have the problem. Given a well
chosen acceleration value, it smooths well the movement.

> I've also noticed that it sometimes picks up on a non-existant
> double-tap when I'm typing (bad habit of tapping my thumb on the bit
> between keyboard and trackpad!).  Just testing this out seems to suggest
> that the trackpad picks up on pressing just around the edges of the case.

The synaptics driver comes with a daemon which can disable the touchpad
when typing on the keyboard.

Stelian.
--
Stelian Pop <stelian@popies.net>