Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: multible partitions?

Here's where the firewire core code loads the SCSI transport driver to
present firewire disks as SCSI disks:

 sbp2: $Rev: 1074 $ Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>
 ieee1394: sbp2: Driver forced to serialize I/O (serialize_io = 1)
 scsi0 : SCSI emulation for IEEE-1394 SBP-2 Devices
 blk: queue c11b0974, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)

and attaches one firewire disk to the SCSI transport:

 ieee1394: sbp2: Logged into SBP-2 device
 ieee1394: sbp2: Node 0-00:1023: Max speed [S400] - Max payload [2048]

What's missing here is crucial: there should be a SCSI device registered
here, usually sda. Not having anything SCSI related here is odd. What
happens in the kernel log when you try a mac-fdisk -l /dev/sda at this
stage?

Unluckily I just have cfdisk, fdisk and sfdisk, but not the mac-fdisk.
The first mentioned ones do not produce any output.

Did you unplug or power down the firewire disk in between?

Yes, I tried "resetting" by unplugging, replugging and powering down several times.

 >    Vendor: Generic   Model: Flash Disk        Rev: 7.77
 Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
 sda: Write Protect is off
   sda: sda1
 WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
 USB Mass Storage device found at 2
 USB Mass Storage support registered.

and found the first 'SCSI' device ever in the system. Which is odd,
because the firewire sbp2 driver ought to have located your firewire disk
before, making this one sdb.

I checked USB stick and FW drive at the same time. When the stick is attached and mounted:
fdisk -l /dev/sda shows the usb stick,
fdisk -l /dev/sdb gives no output

So the FW disk seems to be ignored completely.

 > ### ... and out:
 >
 > usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:07.2-1 address 2

Might be interesting to see what usb-storage has to tell here -
deregistering the sda1 disk perhaps. Or maybe it got automatically mounted
and not hasn't been unmounted yet (check the output of 'mount' before
unplugging it).

Yes - here I unplugged the USB stick.

 > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 > HERE IT COMES:
 >
 > fdisk -l /dev/sda

 sda: Unit Not Ready, sense:
 Info fld=0xa00 (nonstd), Current 00:00: sns = 70  2
 Raw sense data:0x70 0x00 0x02 0x00 0x00 0x0a 0x00 0x00
 sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
 sda : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08

host=0 says it's looking on the firewire bus - though it doesn't say which
SCSI ID was used. The READ CAPACITY command means the disk was detected as
such before (in the section you omitted), just never tried to mount. Unit
Not Ready means the disk might not be spun up (though the kernel usually
figures that out and sends a START UNIT command) or not powered on yet.
For the sbp2 logon to work, it might be sufficient to have the firewire
interface on the disk box up and running.

The rest is some bad guesses assuming the disk is up anyway, followed by
read errors because it isn't.

What's a bit odd here is how sda is used for both the USB and the firewire
device - please double check the kernel doesn't keep the USB stick
mounted or the partition data present after you unplugged it (check
/proc/partitions for that before and after unplugging the stick)-

 Info fld=0xa00 (nonstd), Current sd00:00: sns = 70  2
 Raw sense data:0x70 0x00 0x02 0x00 0x00 0x0a 0x00 0x00
 sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
 sda: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
   sda: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
   I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
   I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 2097144
   I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 2097144
   I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
   I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
   unable to read partition table

What kernel version does this happen on? Any difference if you plug in the
firewire disk _after_ the kernel has booted up?

The kernel is 2.4.27. I noticed no diffenence whether I plug before or after the system boot process.

I've had occasional trouble with the firewire disk not detected on boot,
but IIRC there never was a sbp2 logon either.

Another strange thing:

I read cat /proc/partitions: with the FW disk and USB stick attached - and then removed the USB stick. There was no change in output at cat /proc/partitions - exactly the same values, which IMHO are correct for the stick and not for the disk:

cat /proc/partitions

major minor  #blocks  name

   8     0      64000 sda
   8     1      63996 sda1
   3     0    6336225 hda
   3     1    6249253 hda1
   3     2      80325 hda2

Meanwhile I suspect having a not really fully compatible ieee1394 chipset on my FW disk. - I'll try the USB port as soon as I can get hold of a USB cable.

Thanks a lot for Your help up to now - it feels good not to be left alone in this dirty business.

Greetings,

Wolf

+ Wolf Drechsel
+ Köhnstr. 54