Re: Kernel/library bug on linux ppc64.

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 15:07 +0200, Laurent Fousse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got the following bugreport from the lead developer of GMP[1] which
> is porting this library to linux-ppc64 via private mail, with request
> that it be published in the "most appropriate place" which --somehow--
> seemed to be here. Since I don't have access to such a ppc64 machine,
> your help in finding the culprit is appreciated.
>
> Here goes:
>
> Ths lib/kernel bug causes the upper 32 bits of registers to
> become clobbered when a signal (at least SIGALRM) is delivered.

Is this a 32 bits or a 64 bits program ? Unfortunately, the ucontext
structure for ppc32 doesn't have room to store the upper 32 bits of
registers. Thus, a 32 bits program should _not_ try to use the upper 32
bits of registers, at least not if it uses signals (this is not defined
by the ABI anyways). He should compile a 64 bits version of his library,
that should work.

Ben.