Re: iMac G5 Status?

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 11:56:57AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 00:15 +1200, Joel Van Velden wrote:
> > Hi everyone.
> >
> > I have an iMac G5 (first revision) and am trying to install debian on
> > it, but first i am wondering what is supported:
>
> I got one recently and started doing some serious work on the missing
> pieces. However, I've been a bit delayed by other more important work
> things, but it's still high on my todolist.

i have just tried a daily sarge businesscard on a powerbook g5. the installer
works just fine using the install-power4 option. I could also resize the hpfs
partition using parted (from the command line, and after having disabled the
journaling in osx). 2.6.8-power4-smp and 2.6.11-power4-smp both work fine too.

i am now trying to compile 2.6.12-rc5 using a config derived from debian's
2.6.11-power4, adding support for  smu, suspend, and cpufreq support, but i get
a few errors, and a few questions too.

first of all, how do i compile a ppc64, and what do i need to boot/use it? i
have PPC_PMA64 and PPC64BRIDGE set, but include/asm points to
include/asm-ppc64.

> > o Analogue sound output?
>
> Not yet.

Ben, did you not say the -rc4 will have "analog work on some desktop G5" in a

> > o Dynamic CPU clock scaling?
>
> Will be there soon too. Probably along with Fan control.

according to the warning in arch/ppc/platforms/pmac_cpufreq.c, using cpufreq on
smp kernel is not a good idea. what is the status of this?  (btw, the
___save_processor_state call should be replaced by save_processor_state)

and what about altivec support? is there no such thing anymore?

> > What is the best/easiest way to actually install debian on an imac?
> > Should i be using the newfangled debian-installer release candidates, or
> > something else?
>
> I suppose you want somebody to build you a 64 bits kernel with proper
> SMU support and boot that with the debian install initrd...

When CONFIG_PMAC_SMU is set, i get

drivers/macintosh/smu.c:45:21: asm/smu.h: No such file or directory
drivers/macintosh/smu.c:47:26: asm/abs_addr.h: No such file or directory
drivers/macintosh/smu.c: In function `smu_cmd_done':
drivers/macintosh/smu.c:121: warning: implicit declaration of function `udelay'
drivers/macintosh/smu.c: In function `smu_do_cmd':
drivers/macintosh/smu.c:140: warning: implicit declaration of function `flush_inval_dcache_range'
drivers/macintosh/smu.c: In function `smu_init':
drivers/macintosh/smu.c:310: error: `smu_cmdbuf_abs' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/macintosh/smu.c:310: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
drivers/macintosh/smu.c:310: error: for each function it appears in.)
drivers/macintosh/smu.c:326: warning: implicit declaration of function `abs_to_virt'

ater deactivating CONFIG_PMAC_SMU, i get:

drivers/built-in.o(.pmac.text+0x37fc): In function `pmac_suspend_devices':
: undefined reference to `pmac_tweak_clock_spreading'
drivers/built-in.o(.pmac.text+0x39b8): In function `pmac_wakeup_devices':
: undefined reference to `pmac_tweak_clock_spreading'

which i still get after deactiving SWSUSPEND and USB SUSPEND

thanks, paul