Re: Further XF86 trouble: startx -> no screens found

Mauro wrote:

On Sun, 2005-05-22 at 23:13 -0700, Mike S wrote:
Indeed UseFBDev is what finally got me into X so that is a definite
good start point.
Good to hear.
But I have read in older posts between Mr. Danzer and someone having a similar problem to mine, which isn't that much different than yours that UseFBDev requires aty128fb,
not sure about that as I've never come across that.
I am not sure if that's still the case, but I thought I'd put in out there. It also works for me if I specify nothing at boot. I lose video for the
kernel,
Not sure what you mean here as I don't have to boot with anything extra
other than what yaboot specifies.

but when gdm starts I get it back.
No console text during boot?

I also have some different things from an XFree86Config-4 (or
whatever it's called) that I found on the net that has seemed to improve my results when I put them into my xorg.conf, if you are interested I can post them, or send them.

--Mike S

What do you mean?  Things to improve X responsiveness for the Rage 128?
Sure, I'm interested.  Just let me know if they are for xorg or xfree86.

yea, no console text during boot unless I specify the aty128fb with a resolution of 1024x768@96, and then it's "messed up" but there. Ben H and I have conversed about it numerous times, and the last email he sent said he was stumped, or something to that effect.

--Mike S