NIC kernel error

My network hangs every so often and the following message appears on ttys0

eth0: RX MAC fifo overflow smac[00810400]

running kernel 2.6.11-powerpc-smp and the network chip in my G4 according to lspci is
Apple UniNorth GMAC (Sun GEM) (rev 01)

Has anyone experienced this message? If so is this a kernel bug or a network configuration error?

I recently switched from 10 Mbps to 100 Mbps line and this error occurs more frequently.
Restarting the network fixes the network connection.

Cheers,

-Peter