Re: 2.6.12-rc4 lots faster than any kernel before?

On Sun, 15 May 2005 13:07:58 +0200
Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> wrote:

Hi,

> [...]

After all this cheering I wanted to see it with my own eyes. So I installed
2.6.12-rc4 last night. What should I say: My machine behaves as slow as before.
I can't see any improvement in speed.

On the other hand all my hardware seems to run out of the box including ALSA
and sleep. Ok, on a G3 Pismo sleep haven't been a problem since ages ;-)

> But as I said: I have problems with ALSA (no sound so far) and with
> pbbuttonsd: I enabled userspace Power Management in the .config, and
> I'm not sure yet why the speed on the machine (Titanium IV, 867 MHz)
> is set to ~665 MHz after booting the machine.

Dynamic CPU frequency scaling should only be done by the kernel itself.
Pbbuttons changes the CPU speed if the power profile changes only and
the external script 'cpufreq' must be active for this to work. So please
check if you have a link in /etc/power/event.d called 'cpufreq' linked
to /etc/power/scripts.d/cpufreq.

Because my PowerBook doesn't support frequency scaling, I never
tested this script sufficiently. I would apprecieate your feedback if you got
it work.

Another interresting fact: Up to now I haven't got high cpu loads (100%)
with pbuttonsd and kernel 2.6.12 as reported multiple times on this
list. Maybe it has something to do with hardware components I don't
have. The solution of Elimar Riesebieter might be evidence for that  Any
hints are welcome.

   Best Regards
      Matthias