Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block..

Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> writes:

> On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 04:56:45PM +0800, william_xuuu@163.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> os: debian on an ibook(G4, 1G, 12")
>>
>> I've just installed a new kernel image (kernel-image-2.6.11-powerpc)
>> with initrd support, but was unable to boot the new kernel, which stops
>> at:
>>
>>     Please append a correct "root=" boot option
>>     Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
>>     unknown-block..
>>
>> In `/' i have:
>>
>>     /initrd.img -> boot/initrd.img-2.6.11-powerpc
>>     /vmlinux -> boot/vmlinux-2.6.11-powerpc
>>     /vmlinux.old -> boot/vmlinux-2.6.9
>>
>> and in `yaboot.conf':
>>
>> =====================================
>> boot=/dev/hdc2
>> device=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:
>> partition=4
>> root=/dev/hdc4
>
> Are you sure your HD is hdc? On a PowerBook here the CDrom is hdc, and
> the HD is hda:
>
> :# dmesg | grep hdc
> hdc: MATSHITACD-RW CW-8121, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
>     [ ... ]
>
> :# dmesg | grep hda
> Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda4 ro
> hda: TOSHIBA MK4021GAS, ATA DISK drive
>
> ... see ?

Well, when i first installed debian, the kernel was only 2.4.23, and
couldn't recognize my ATA harddisk correctly. As you see, it thought hda
as hdc, and hdc as hda.. so ridiculously. ;-)

>> timeout=30
>> install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
>> magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
>> defaultos=linux
>> default=debian
>>
>> image=/vmlinux.old
>> 	label=debian
>> 	read-only
>>
>> image=/vmlinux
>> 	lable=debiannew
>> 	root=/dev/hdc4
>
> ditto
>
>> 	initrd=/initrd.img
>> =====================================
>>
>> As directed, i tried to append various root= options, still failed. To
>> boot my old kernel, on the second stage of yaboot type either
>> `/vmlinux.old' or `/vmlinux.old root=/dev/hdc4' is fine; while, to boot
>> the new 2.6.11 kernel, root=/dev/hdc4, /dev/hda4, hd:4,
>> /pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:4, ... won't work.
>

> I don't reboot very often, so please forgive my lousy memory if the
> following is bs: Did you try to boot your new kernel manually with
> something like debiannew, at the prompt?

yup, i just append `root=somthing' at the prompt.

> Or, IIRC, at this prompt, in the early stage of the boot process,
> hitting <TAB> should give you some options to enter, for your kernels

I have a question, here <TAB> gives me only

* debian /vmlinux

never tell me more...lucky i guessed out that i can input /vmlinux and
/vmlinux.old to make choices manually myself.

--
William