Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block..

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 04:56:45PM +0800, william_xuuu@163.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> os: debian on an ibook(G4, 1G, 12")
>
> I've just installed a new kernel image (kernel-image-2.6.11-powerpc)
> with initrd support, but was unable to boot the new kernel, which stops
> at:
>
>     Please append a correct "root=" boot option
>     Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
>     unknown-block..
>
> In `/' i have:
>
>     /initrd.img -> boot/initrd.img-2.6.11-powerpc
>     /vmlinux -> boot/vmlinux-2.6.11-powerpc
>     /vmlinux.old -> boot/vmlinux-2.6.9
>
> and in `yaboot.conf':
>
> =====================================
> boot=/dev/hdc2
> device=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:
> partition=4
> root=/dev/hdc4

Are you sure your HD is hdc? On a PowerBook here the CDrom is hdc, and
the HD is hda:

:# dmesg | grep hdc
hdc: MATSHITACD-RW CW-8121, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
    [ ... ]

:# dmesg | grep hda
Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda4 ro
hda: TOSHIBA MK4021GAS, ATA DISK drive

... see ?

> timeout=30
> install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
> magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
> defaultos=linux
> default=debian
>
> image=/vmlinux.old
> 	label=debian
> 	read-only
>
> image=/vmlinux
> 	lable=debiannew
> 	root=/dev/hdc4

ditto

> 	initrd=/initrd.img
> =====================================
>
> As directed, i tried to append various root= options, still failed. To
> boot my old kernel, on the second stage of yaboot type either
> `/vmlinux.old' or `/vmlinux.old root=/dev/hdc4' is fine; while, to boot
> the new 2.6.11 kernel, root=/dev/hdc4, /dev/hda4, hd:4,
> /pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:4, ... won't work.

I don't reboot very often, so please forgive my lousy memory if the
following is bs: Did you try to boot your new kernel manually with
something like debiannew, at the prompt?

Or, IIRC, at this prompt, in the early stage of the boot process,
hitting <TAB> should give you some options to enter, for your kernels
the system knows about: You should see then, hopefully, something like
debiannew ..

HTH

Good luck!

Best Regards