Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block..

Baccanelli Massimo <mbaccanelli@sorint.it> writes:

> william_xuuu@163.com wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>os: debian on an ibook(G4, 1G, 12")
>>
>>I've just installed a new kernel image (kernel-image-2.6.11-powerpc)
>>with initrd support, but was unable to boot the new kernel, which stops
>>at:
>>
>>    Please append a correct "root=" boot option
>>    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
>>    unknown-block..
>>
>>In `/' i have:
>>
>>    /initrd.img -> boot/initrd.img-2.6.11-powerpc
>>    /vmlinux -> boot/vmlinux-2.6.11-powerpc
>>    /vmlinux.old -> boot/vmlinux-2.6.9
>>
>>and in `yaboot.conf':
>>
>>=====================================
>>boot=/dev/hdc2
>>device=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:
>>partition=4
>>root=/dev/hdc4
>>timeout=30
>>install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
>>magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
>>defaultos=linux
>>default=debian
>>
>>image=/vmlinux.old
>>	label=debian
>>	read-only
>>
>>image=/vmlinux
>>	lable=debiannew
>>	root=/dev/hdc4
>>	initrd=/initrd.img
>>=====================================
>>
>>As directed, i tried to append various root= options, still failed. To
>>boot my old kernel, on the second stage of yaboot type either
>>`/vmlinux.old' or `/vmlinux.old root=/dev/hdc4' is fine; while, to boot
>>the new 2.6.11 kernel, root=/dev/hdc4, /dev/hda4, hd:4,
>>/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:4, ... won't work.
>>
>> I'm kind of confused with it, any ideas?
>>
>> btw, 2.6.9 is built by hand myself.
>>
>>--
>>William
>>

> Hi William,
>
>   yuor root file system is: ext2, ext3 or reiserfs ?
>   if reiserfs or ext3 ... ... is included in the linux kernel ?

Oh..that might be the reason.. My root fs is xfs. I checked the
config-2.6.11-powerpc, which shows that it has made xfs built as
module..

Any method to reconfigure the pre-compiled kernel-image ? I really don't
wanna compile the whole myself, which is time-consuming..

>   sorry for my bad english .

;-)

--
William