Re: Mount Apple-CDs

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 11:14:21AM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-20 07:39:07 +0000, Joerg Sommer <joerg@alea.gnuu.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > how to mount Apple CDs? They are disks with a partition table
>
> AFAIK, partitioned CD-ROMs aren't supported by Linux right now. However,
> there are several ways to work around that.

The hfs module has directly supported CDs for ages, and the hfsplus
module got that support added a while ago. If you have a recent 2.6
kernel, you should be able to give the full CD device to mount and
have the kernel automatically find the main data partition. Obviously
this only works for hfs and hfsplus, since the code is hacked into
the filesystem code. This won't help you out on any unix partitions
on a CD like on an old A/UX system CD.

Just to note that I think it's a horrible hack to do it this way,
but noone cares enough to go through the pain of proper support
for partition maps on anything that doesn't look like a hard drive.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com