Re: Compile errors patching 2.6.11 to 2.6.12-rc2

Hi Brian

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 07:53:24AM -0700, Brian W. Carver wrote:
> Wolfgang wrote:
> [snip]
> >The good news:
>
> >The following worked (omitting the 2.6.12-rc2-mm3 patch):
>
> >tar xzvf linux-2.6.11.tar.gz
> >cd linux-2.6.11/
> >bzip2 -cd  ../../patch-2.6.12-rc2.bz2 | patch -p1
> >cp ../linux-2.6.10/.config .
> >make oldconfig
> >fakeroot make-kpkg clean
> >time MAKEFLAGS="CC=gcc-3.4"  fakeroot make-kpkg
> >--append-to-version=-selinux1 --revision +20050415 kernel_image
>
> >                             THE END:
>
> >dpkg-deb: building package `kernel-image-2.6.12-rc2-selinux1' in
> >`../kernel-image-2.6.12-rc2-selinux1_+20050415_powerpc.deb'.
> >rm -f -r debian/tmp-image
> >echo done >  stamp-image
> >make[1]: Leaving directory
> >`/home/shorty/sources.2.6/kernel-org-source/linux-2.6.11'
>
> Wolfgang,
>
> Thanks. Could you send me your /usr/src/linux/.config ?

Yo. It's attached to this mail: you can unpack it with
bunzip2 -k -v .config.bz2

("apt-get install bzip2", if you haven't done it already :)

To make sure nothing has been destroyed on the journey make sure you
have the same md5sum of the unzipped file as me, below, with the following
command:

$ md5sum .config
b0d6e4486d25228ea2185581f3fdf1a4 .config

I have made the config for a Powerbook G4.

More on that:

:$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
cpu             : 7455, altivec supported
clock           : 867MHz
revision        : 3.2 (pvr 8001 0302)
bogomips        : 865.18
machine         : PowerBook3,5
motherboard     : PowerBook3,5 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh
detected as     : 80 (PowerBook Titanium IV)
pmac flags      : 0000000b
L2 cache        : 256K unified
memory          : 768MB
pmac-generation : NewWorld

Notes:

1:
Please be aware of the fact, that this .config isn't ready yet: I had
some first edit sessions on it, but I didn't finish yet the second and
last look at the options that I enabled/disabled: The reason I
compiled the kernel last night with this config was curiosity whether
it would work or not; nothing more ... :)

2:
SElinux options:

You might want having a special look to the selinux options that I enabled:
Some links to documentation pages concerning selinux are here:
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2005/02/msg00383.html>

What one should disable or enable for selinux is explained here:
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2005/02/msg00446.html>

(Let's hope I didn't forget anything .. :)

3:
SElinux options II:
make menuconfig (make gconfig, whatever you like):

In the kernel configuration menu go to
Security options --> NSA SELinux*
Make sure you have
SECURITY_SELINUX_BOOTPARAM [=y]

SECURITY_SELINUX_BOOTPARAM_VALUE [=0]

With these last parameters you make sure selinux isn't enabled when
booting the kernel; at the same time you have the chance to enable
it in the future if you want to. IINM.

You'll find a few explanations for that in the kernel config help
section for these parameters.

I just searched for some selinux ppc packages:
It seems that not all selinux packages available for x86 are available
for ppc: I had them ready for ppc some months ago but gave up on it
due to the fact I have no web space available for them.

I hope that I have the packages from
http://www.coker.com.au/newselinux/
readily compiled for ppc in some not-so-distant-time, *and* that I'll
have some web space then to upload them ...

4:
Power management:
I'm in doubt still, what to do in that regard: Have a look at the
options I enabled in the attached config under
Processor ----> Default CPUFreq governor (performance) and below:
If in doubt I suggest to set these options to the ones you have in
your currently working 2.6 kernel -- if you have 2.6 running, that is

My old working config for 2.4 is here:
<http://www.wolfgangpfeiffer.com/config-2.4.25-ben1.txt>

Michel Dänzer's one (2.6) is here:
<http://penguinppc.org/~daenzer/config-2.6.5-rc2-ben0-ck1>

ibook 2.6 configs, IINM:
http://realpath.org/ibook/

> Because I guess I cannot figure out which module handles
> the new Powerbook's SATA hard drive.

You probably have a working kernel for this drive, right? If yes, I'd
compare the settings in my working kernel config with the ones offered
in the 2.6.11 sources. This might help:

grep -irs SATA path/to/your/kernel/sources | grep -i kconf | less

If you omit " | grep -i kconf" you search all your sources for SATA ... :)

> When I compiled my most recent kernel it would not boot
> because I didn't have an initrd image like the one the
> Debian net install set up for me. Then I tried making an
> initrd image but didn't know what I was doing (I don't
> know which directory to point it to apparently because
> dpkg -i fails after a make-kpkg with the --initrd flag).

I hate initrd: I think for a typical user machine enabling initrd
complicates things unnecessarily ... With my config, and the command I
compiled this kernel ( see my previous message) you should not have
any initrd, and no initrd troubles. Provided I made no mistake .. :)

As soon as I have my config finally ready, and the kernel compiled with
it seems to work smoothly, I'll let you know ...

Good luck

Best Regards
  Wolfgang

--